Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

I loved this book. Complete page-turner for me. I read so many conflicting reviews before I opened it, I was worried it wouldn't be a thriller as advertised. But, I'm so glad I was wrong. Are there some plot holes - maybe - but I don't spend my time exploiting the wide world of kidnapping either so maybe I missed them out of lack of experience (seems to be the biggest complaint in other reviews which makes me wonder just what they are doing with their spare time?).

The Couple Next Door is a mystery/thriller novel by Shari Lepena. Anne and Marco are just going to a party next door. They had a baby-sitter lined up, but due to a family emergency, she cancels at the last minute. It's too late to get another sitter and Anne has really been struggling with postpartum depression; Marco just wants her to have a nice evening. And so it goes. The couple decides (chapter one here folks...giving nothing away) to attend the shindig next door and take the baby monitor, but not the baby. Their daughter Cora is asleep, she's barely six-months so she doesn't do a lot at this point. They place her lovingly in her crib and are off to the birthday dinner. They will check on her every thirty minutes - Anne will still do all her timed feedings - they share a wall with the other home as they live in "row" style housing - what could possibly go wrong? So. Much. Goes. Wrong.

Of course, I can't tell you the nitty-gritty of it all, but I will say it has a few surprises here and there. Lapena does an excellent job leading the reader down one path only to have you doubting what you thought you knew in the next chapter. Which is the mark of a good thriller.

I easily give this book a solid ☕☕☕☕☕ and would recommend it as a must read. Not quite as "insane" at Gone Girl, but definitely enough thrill to keep me guessing.

Now - for the plot. I feel I would be remiss if I didn't say this. What kind of moron leaves their six-month old baby at home alone to attend a dinner party?!?!?!? As a parent, I must question everyone involved in this choice. Whew - I feel better now.

For more information about Shari Lapena, visit her website at http://www.sharilapena.com/
where you can read an excerpt of her book.

No comments:

Post a Comment