Thursday, July 30, 2015

Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult

Songs of the Humpback WhaleSongs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this novel. I was surprised when I read other reviews and it received only one or two stars. My rating is a heavy four, and the only reason it's not a five is because I found the brother/sister relationship to be a little too close for my taste. I understand the mechanics of their devastating childhood, but her brother was in love with her, and not quite what felt familial. Kinda creeped me out a bit from time to time.

Songs of the Humpback Whale portrays a pivotal moment in Jane Oliver's marriage; a moment that scares her into running away for the second time. Her husband, Oliver Jones, is at first bemused, and then bewildered as he discovers he actually does love his wife and daughter more than he's ever let them know. He is learning from his mistakes as he searches for her the way he's tracked whales across the water. What results is a cross-country quest to understand not only herself, but to understand her daughter, her past, and her future. Told in the voice of five narrators that shift in moments and time, Songs of the Humpback Whale says a lot about love and trust and comfort, as much as it says about deceit and lies and violence. Piccoult, for me, weaves a strong voice in each character and guttural truth in their realizations.

A solid Picoult read, ready to pick up the next book I have by her.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment