Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Pact by Jodi Picoult

The PactThe Pact by Jodi Picoult
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm slow to the Jodi Picoult fan base. I have no idea why because every book I read by her breaks me apart until I'm raw to the core and then rebuilds me as a better human being. The Pact is my third Picoult novel (I've read House Rules & Leaving Time - both of which I highly recommend) and it ranks just as high as any other I've read. Let's just say she's a top author from this point on -three books and you've never let me down. I adore you Ms. Picoult.

Emily and Chris are two halves of the same whole. They were born merely months apart and their parents, particularly the moms, are the best of friends. There is no question about their affection for each other or their parent's desire to see this budding friendship bloom into future a future "I do." But Emily has a deep dark secret she's hiding, one that she can't even tell Chris, and this secret tears at her inside destroying the beautiful girl she is. When life become more than she can bear to withstand anymore, Chris is the only person she can confide in; and her request pulls Chris down with a gravity beyond measure. A phone call at 3a changes everyone's life forever, and the families soon learn the depth of their children, and the true test of love.

The book was made into a LifeTime movie of which I'm attempting to get my hands on. I want to see how it plays out on the screen, how the actors channel the true range of feeling that Picoult puts into her characters, into her story.

This book is excellent. This book matters. And this book teaches the reader that suffering isn't on the surface; it's buried deep within and hard to find. Be careful with each other - the mark you leave behind is everlasting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment