Friday, April 3, 2015

Turning the Pages....Again

I've been swamped. Not that people flock here to see what I'm reading, but I feel a little guilty when I haven't glorified books in awhile. Books are my escape. Books never let you down. Books are like a warm, soft, happy puppy - they welcome you, they don't judge you, and if they do hurt your feelings you can walk away for a break without reprimand or fear of making a bad choice and then pick them right back up where you left off - and they simple say, "Welcome home" again.

I digress.

I did finish reading Once by Anna Carey and I really enjoyed it. I'm waiting to review the entire trilogy in one shot because I always want to see how the third book pans out before I give a trilogy a full review. Book three always haunts me, but I've got a good feeling about this one. I'm #2 on 1 copy for my library e-reader checkout. If you aren't using this system through the library, you are missing out. Best. Invention. Ever. Now my desire to be a recluse doesn't even require a trip to the library. (If I could only get the grocery store to deliver for free my life would be complete - don't judge.)






I'm still reading Empire Falls by Richard Russo. I thought I was going to walk away from this book. After a twenty-five plus page "prologue" and a slow first few chapters it was feeling like a "no." But, it went and "got" interesting. I'm connected to Miles now, I hate Max, and I'm curious about what will
happen to Tick. So, I'm plodding through. It's not a short book, that is for certain, but some of the best stories take 500 pages to ferret out. Onward Mr. Russo.




CJ has finished reading The Death Cure, book three in the The Maze Runner series so it's my turn (as I'm daily reminded because he just can't keep his trap shut about what happens.)

Coming up soon will be a review for Artificial Lamb Cake and The Weight of Guilt both by Red Adept Publishing. I'm also starting a new series with them entitled Painting the Moon and it feels promising.

And most recently I received a gift card for my Kindle. Always the right gift! I bought two new novels that I'm excited to start soon:


Had to buy this one. I was #999 for checkout! WOW!
From iTunes books:  A debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?


Compulsively readable, The Girl on the Train is an emotionally immersive, Hitchcockian thriller and an electrifying debut.


Set in Scottland - it has to be amazing.
From Amazon.com: In this thrilling new novel from the author of Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen again demonstrates her talent for creating spellbinding period pieces. At the Water’s Edge is a gripping and poignant love story about a privileged young woman’s awakening as she experiences the devastation of World War II in a tiny village in the Scottish Highlands.

After disgracing themselves at a high society New Year’s Eve party in Philadelphia in 1944, Madeline Hyde and her husband, Ellis, are cut off financially by his father, a former army colonel who is already ashamed of his son’s inability to serve in the war. When Ellis and his best friend, Hank, decide that the only way to regain the Colonel’s favor is to succeed where the Colonel very publicly failed—by hunting down the famous Loch Ness monster—Maddie reluctantly follows them across the Atlantic, leaving her sheltered world behind.

The trio find themselves in a remote village in the Scottish Highlands, where the locals have nothing but contempt for the privileged interlopers. Maddie is left on her own at the isolated inn, where food is rationed, fuel is scarce, and a knock from the postman can bring tragic news. Yet she finds herself falling in love with the stark beauty and subtle magic of the Scottish countryside. Gradually she comes to know the villagers, and the friendships she forms with two young women open her up to a larger world than she knew existed. Maddie begins to see that nothing is as it first appears: the values she holds dear prove unsustainable, and monsters lurk where they are least expected.


As she embraces a fuller sense of who she might be, Maddie becomes aware not only of the dark forces around her, but of life’s beauty and surprising possibilities.


I'd really like to disappear for awhile and read ALL of The Outlander series, but I'll have to settle for book two coming on this Sunday in the season premier. Maybe this summer I can tackled books 3-???? 

No comments:

Post a Comment