Sunday, April 26, 2015

Poem A Day Challenge, April 20-26, 2015

I am, once again, behind. I don't pretend that the words below are my best work. My muse is on vacation, has been for quite sometime now. I supposed she needed a break; time away from the chaotic world inside my brain. However, I put words on the page today and that counts for something. You can always edit a bad page, but you cannot edit a blank page. Write on.

April 20, 2015:For today’s prompt, take the phrase “My (blank), the (blank),” replace the blanks with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then, write your poem. Possible titles include: “My Dentist, the Torture Expert,” “My Lunch, the Thing I Got Out of the Vending Machine,” “My Father, the Comedian,” or “My Life, the Punchline.”

My Writing, the Disaster

My writing is a disaster.
Ideas flit in my head
That never see the light of day.
Bright shiny concepts of:
Characters
Setting
Plot
Tone
They wander is circles,
Never clicking together.
Mocking the exhaustion of my life.
Taunting the fatigue of my soul.
Insulting the weariness of my spirit.
Chaotic spins of amateur hour
with no end in sight.
Hit the gong.

April 21, 2015: For today’s prompt, we’re dealing with our third “Two for Tuesday” prompt(s):

1      Write a “what you are” poem, or…
2      Write a “what you are not” poem.

For instance, you may be a teacher, a student, brave, scared, a person, an animal, a plant, and well, wherever this one takes you. Or not, of course.

I am not a Honey Badger

I am not the aggressive concept
Of a honey badger, much to my dismay.
I lack the strength to often voice
What I really want to say.
I allow the masses to tune my thoughts
And wallow in my assimilation.
Wishing just once to bear my fangs
To shake the cloak of deception.
I used to be the assertive sort
With thought and feelings and ideas
And they called me bitch and pulled my hair
And I begin to yield.
And now my teeth are ground and soft
Not ready for flesh to chew.
No longer apt to shred fresh meat,
Only lettuce or carrots will do.
And I’m supposed to be at peace
Letting anger and vengeance go.
But I admit I lack the grace,
Yet must keep up the show.
And deep inside the resentment sits
For those escaped of wrath;
And they’ll enjoy the life they’ve made,
As my violence I refuse to tap.


April 22, 2015: For today’s prompt, write a nature poem. For many poets, the first thing that may pop to mind includes birds, trees, waterfalls, rivers, and such. But there’s also human nature, nature vs. nurture, and other things natural, including natural selection and being a “natural” at something. Let your nature take it where it will today.

Like a Tornado

It spins and spits and screams,
This death machine that pummels
The weak and the weary.
It claws through holes and exposes,
Every tear in the fabric of life.
Like a tornado,
Humans create strife.

April 23, 2015: For today’s prompt, write a historic poem. It could be a poem about a landmark event, specific battle, an era in time, or whatever you consider a historic happening.

Polio Plight

The lines began to form,
An end in sight to the polio plight.
Vaccinations to aid millions,
On the steps of a school,
Where the world was changed
Forever.
And today’s morons want to challenge this?


April 24, 2015: For today’s prompt, write a moment poem. The moment can be a big moment or small moment; it can be a good moment or horrible moment; it can affect thousands or matter to just one person. Some moments happen in crowded rooms; some happen in the most quiet of spaces. Find yours and write a poem.

Forever Mine

When they laid him on my chest,
In that moment he became forever:
Mine.
Mine to love.
Mine to rear.
Mine to teach.
Mine to feed.
Mine to house.
Mine to clothe.
Mine to discipline.
Mine to forgive.
Mine to cherish.
Mine to let go.
All mine, an infinite moment in time.
When my world changed.

April 25, 2015: For today’s prompt, write an across the sea poem. This could be a love letter, an electronic submission through cyber space and time, or a travel poem (by air or sea, though probably not car). Modern travel or back in the days of rugged explorers. Wandering or wondering, your choice. As always, the prompt is just the springboard to your poem; feel free to bend and break.

I’ve always wondered
Messages in a bottle:
Are they ever read?

April 26, 2015: For today’s prompt, take a word or two invented by William Shakespeare, make it the title of your poem, and write your poem. Click here for a link to some words coined by Shakespeare, who was baptized on this date in 1564. If the link doesn’t work, here are a few: advertising, bloodstained, critic, dwindle, eyeball, hobnob, luggage, radiance, and zany. He invented more than 1,700!

The “Green-Eyed” Monster

The green-eyed monster
Preys upon the hopes and dreams
Of our deepest selves.
It is relenting.
It is enduring.
It is suspicious.
And it: Never. Lets. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment