Sunday, April 19, 2015

Poem a Day Challenge, April 15-19, 2015

So...I'm way behind. This week was just crazy. But, I'm all caught up - for now.

April 15, 2015: For today’s prompt, pick an adjective, make it the title of your poem, and then, write your poem. If you’re feeling stuck on this one, go back through your poems earlier this month and find adjectives you used–if any. Or crack open a dictionary. Or scan other poems for ideas.

Impressive

Powerful, influential.
Remarkable in ability.
To make the masses say “Awe!”
Which is what awesome actually means.
Used uselessly for mundane activities
Bearing no resemblance to splendid
The august, intense, majestic
Power of the influential.


April 16, 2015: For today’s prompt, write a science poem. Your poem could be about science in a general sense, but you can also latch onto a specific field or story. Maybe write a poem about the scientific method, or juxtapose science against another idea like love, war, or cuisine. Remember: Science is the springboard; which way you jump is up to you.

The Empirical Formula

Mrs. McGowan –
Do you know how?
To use the empirical formula?
I don’t. I don’t know. I. Don’t. Know.
I don’t understand – proportions.
I don’t understand – elements.
Why must we configure a compound
That isn’t arranged in the actual atoms?
Empirical is too finite. To me.
Based in the literal, verifiable
Context of the observed.
There is no room for fiction.
For fantastical ideas of wands
And the unmentioned name of fear.
There is no room for mazes and Flares,
Of scorches beyond the patterns of the brain.
Theory escapes what is “empirical.”
Logic denies what is “empirical.”
The hole in the ground would not allow
“the empirical.”
And I –
I want to go on an adventure.


April 17, 2015:For today’s prompt, write a swing poem. Sure, there are park swings and mood swings; there’s swing music and swing dancing; and there are swingers. Some people swing one way; others swing another. In politics, there are swing votes and swing states. And many people have swung a bat, an ax, and/or a hammer in their lifetimes.

Tire Swings

A tire swing hangs
Breathing nostalgia and mirth
A world left behind.


April 18, 2015: For today’s prompt, pick 2 vowels and write a poem using words that only contain one or both of those vowels. For instance, write a poem with words that only have a “u” and “o.” Also, the letter “y” is wild–so the words “my” and “gypsy” are freebies. And I’ll allow text-speak (or maybe I should say “txt spk”).

Azaleas

Azaleas appear each year
Bareheaded beads, beautiful
Breathing cleanliness
Concealing deadened drumbeats
Earnestly heaping jealous peace
Readapting rainwear
Revealing seasons
Yearning zealous ideals.


April 19, 2015: For today’s prompt, write an authority poem. Maybe you are an authority on something or know someone who is (or who thinks he or she is). Maybe you respect authority, or maybe not so much. Maybe you are on the run from the authorities, in which case I can only say good luck, but this blog probably isn’t the best hiding place–especially with so many folks poeming away.

Misplaced

Misplaced authority
Makes me laugh.
Not just a giggle, but –
A full belly of shaking;
That I must always conceal.
Because to reveal the uncontrollable
Tremors from within,
Dismisses the lies
That play upon my ears.
That play upon my sight.
That play upon my soul.
And that’s not what,
They want to see, in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment