Friday, March 20, 2015

Turning the Pages...

I feel like I haven't posted in awhile. During Spring Break I was tearing through the pages of great (and not so great) stories that fueled my desire to read even more, and then this whole "I have a job and have to be an adult thing" started back again and it's just really cut into my "Someone should pay me to sit around and read" approach to life.

But - I'm still reading, just not quite at the pace I'd prefer.

Right now I've got several books going at once. I've tried to just read one at a time, yet somehow that never works out. So I thought today I'd just a quick update on what's to come.

I'm currently reading The Scorch Trials by James Dashner. It's the second book in The Maze Runner series. The movie is coming out soon and my son has read both books - it's tough keeping up with an eleven year old that out reads you with boundless energy.

Book two places Thomas and the rest of the Gladers through yet another terrifying trial for their lives. Some of the favorites from book one are still with us: Newt, Minho, Teresa (sort of), and a new cast of characters appears as the team makes their way across a truly grueling desert with no end in sight. Dashner does a good job of creating the ups and downs of anxiety in the book. It doesn't sugar coat much, so it's not for the faint of heart. I'm about 1/2 way through and anticipate a conclusion by the weekend's end. Book three is The Death Cure, which I'm sure we'll be reading next, and there is a prequel for how it all got started entitled The Kill Order; I would like to give that a read. I appreciate the idea of telling me how we landed in this post apocalyptic world.

I'm also attempting to read Empire Falls by Richard Russo. It was made into an HBO mini-series years ago. It tells the story of Miles Roby and his life a small town. I like small town novels. I admit, the reading is slow going, but I've been assured it's going to pick up interest soon...I plod on.

I'm also waiting on book two in the Eve trilogy to be available at the library on my eReader check out system. I'm #2 of 2 on the wait list, so any day now! I don't usually like dystopian, but so far The Maze Runner and Eve have actually been pretty interesting.

And last, but not least, I'm working my way through a few new publications by Red Adept Publishing: Sacrificial Lamb Cake and The Weight of Guilt. Both are by new authors looking to make their mark on the literary world.

Clearly - I need more time to read. Always.



No comments:

Post a Comment