Thursday, March 12, 2015

They Call Me Crazy by Kelly Stone Gamble

They Call Me CrazyThey Call Me Crazy by Kelly Stone Gamble
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Have you ever experienced a reading slump? Where you opened several books and none of them caught your attention? And as an avid reader, this just kills your soul? Well - search no more - They Call Me Crazy by Kelly Stone Gamble will solve that problem immediately!

Ms.Gamble contacted me and asked me to do a review of her awesome novel. First: I love it when author's contact me! I feel all super special and whatnot. Second: Free book!

Cass Adams is crazy, and everyone in Deacon, Kansas, knows it. But when her good-for-nothing husband, Roland, goes missing, no one suspects that Cass buried him in their unfinished koi pond. Too bad he doesn’t stay there for long. Cass gets arrested on the banks of the Spring River for dumping his corpse after heavy rain partially unearths it. The police chief wants a quick verdict—he’s running for sheriff and has no time for crazy talk. But like Roland’s corpse, secrets start to surface, and they bring more to light than anybody expected. Everyone in Cass’s life thinks they know her—her psychic grandmother, her promiscuous ex-best friend, her worm-farming brother-in-law, and maybe even her local ghost. But after years of separate silences, no one knows the whole truth. Except Roland. And he’s not talking.

The Review:

From the first sentence, "There's nothing easy about burying your husband..." on I could not put this book down. I sat hunkered in my reading nook feverishly turning pages to find out exactly what happened. Cass is crazy, but there are twists involved in her crazy leading the reader down a different path. Ms. Gamble created real characters that connected with me as a person, not a reader. I felt pity for Cass, hate for Maryann, disgust for Roland. There is just enough hint at ghosts to be believable and the multiple narration technique is not confusing, it's convincing. This book is more than just a mystery novel, it's life in a small town suspense. Completely captivating. It's part Stephen King, part Nora Roberts, part Stephenie Meyer.

The book also employed excellent writing and narrative structure, which for me is a huge bonus! I find far too many mainstream fiction novels (those written for the masses) with sub-standard prose...not this one! A great read!

Looking forward to more work from this author. For more about Kelly Stone Gamble, visit her website at: http://www.kstonegamble.com

View all my reviews

1 comment: