Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Wuthering HeightsWuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I don't know how to review this book. It is, in fact, my favorite book now. It has surpassed the writings of all other authors. What I want to say about it will take the form of a dissertation and not a review, one day.

I had to order myself a hardback collector's edition because I simply had to have it.

I leave with the knowledge that this book has won me over heart and soul...there is no other piece of literature like it. It is the passion of Heathcliff that binds me to this book - even his dark side. It spawns one of the most amazing lines in literature I've ever read: "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."

If you are unfamiliar with the story:

Wuthering Heights is a passionate, albeit violent, love story between Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff, an orphan adopted by Catherine's father. When her father dies, Heathcliff endures the verbal and physical abuse of Catherine's demonic and jealous brother, Hindley. Throughout the tormented years, Heathcliff is led to believe that his love for Catherine is not reciprocated and he leaves Wuthering Heights to make his way in the world: and that he does, returning with wealth and shine. But, Catherine has not waited for her knight in shining armor to return and Heathcliff's vengeance on those he feels has wronged him is chaotic, cathartic, and incessantly savage. (Shakespeare has nothing on Bronte with regards to revenge!) The story is complex, the moors create an redolent setting with a great proclivity for opulence. This novel is the "piece de resistance" of English literature.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment