Thursday, November 6, 2014

Titanic: Voices from the Disaster by Deborah Hopkins

Titanic: Voices From the DisasterTitanic: Voices From the Disaster by Deborah Hopkinson
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

This was my update about 1/4 of the way in: "I'm not going to lie...I'm bored. The prose is mundane, the descriptions are limited, and the people discussed so far are not interesting at all. I don't know if it's because I already know so much about this ship that I just feel like I'm re-reading the same information, but right now there is no "voice" in the "Voices From the Disaster." Sometimes I'm in awe of what gets published."

And it did not change:

Absolute boredom - this story has been told so many times before. And while I appreciate the dedication to history, at least tell it well. The writing is mundane, the use of exclamation points to indicate excitement, frivolity, excess, or drama is appalling. If, as a writer, you cannot select strong verbs to indicate any of these reactions in your reader, then don't write. I learned nothing new and the "Voices" from this so called novel had no voice.

A disappointment from page one.

It had nice pictures.

And side note: I hate writing reviews like this because I understand the challenge of writing a novel, and it's nothing personal to the author...I'm sure you are lovely person, but I just could not support the writing of this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment