Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Anya's GhostAnya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Anya's Ghost was just okay for me. I wanted there to be more conflict with the ghost itself, but it turned out to simply be shallow and selfish. This bothered me. Granted, I understand the context was for Anya to learn NOT to be this way, I just felt as if the ghost was cursory to the plot - the book almost could have survived without it. The choices Anya makes, while encouraged by the ghost, we're not out of the realm of possibility for Anya to make on her own. For a true foil character, for me, there needs to be a stronger distinction. I did enjoy the graphics, although the idea of cartoon figures smoking cigarettes did annoy me. I'm not opposed to these choices for teens to read about because it's relevant to them, but the graphics of it felt forced. Overall, it's not a book I'd recommend, not because it's a graphic novel, but because the story was unremarkable.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment