Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Little Reading Update...

I've finished a few books since Ruta Sepytys Out of the Easy, though none have stolen my heart the way she did.

I've started a YA book club where I teach - its selections are pulled from the ALA lists for Battle of the Books. We are excited to be a part of it this year and I have about 10 willing kiddos that want to tackle the list of twenty-one titles with me! Competition is in March.

I'm still trying to plow my way through The Goldfinch by Donna Tart. It was the Pulitzer Prize winner for fiction and it's about 400 pages too long. Excellent writing, but lots of fluff. I get it, he's a drug addict.

In the mean time, as I've taken breaks from Goldfinch (you have to, seriously, you just have to), I read The Paris Wife for book club. This novel traces the life of Ernest Hemmingway's first wife and the way they lived in Ol' Paree.  I enjoyed the story and the historical fiction aspect of the book.

Stella Bain followed the Paris Wife. Loved it. It is also set in Paris, but the book travels to London and America. It deals with the idea of PTSD in women - a concept rarely considered during WWI. Stella Bain has to work to remember who she is and reclaim a life she thought she'd lost forever.

Finally, I kicked off the Battle of the Books with Steve Jobs: The Man who Thought Different. It was the first book on the ALA Book List. Not a fan - of Jobs as a human or the book (but I do LOVE his products!). It was childishly written. I know it was geared toward a YA audience, but it isn't necessary to talk down to your readers.


Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought DifferentSteve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different by Karen Blumenthal
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I struggled to read this book. Not because Jobs was an ass...he was and we all already knew this, but because it was written in such a childish way. I know it's a YA book and it won awards as part of the ALA society, but I thought it was written in a nauseatingly explanatory format. And she used the word "chutzpah" several times - that's a unique word, use it once.

The context of the story kept my interest and I did learn a lot about Jobs and the computer industry, which is why I gave it the three stars. But, overall - it's not a book I would recommend.

View all my reviews

I'm currently reading The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi and that will be followed by Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo - both Battle of the Books contenders. My life will be filled with YA novels until March interspersed with book clubs reads. But, I don't mind being busy when it comes to reading - it motivates me to read even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment