Sunday, March 16, 2014

Poetry at its Finest! The Montana Quarterly

I am self-professed "hater" of poetry. I don't like words that attempt to hide the meaning of writing and I feel like modern poets try too hard to create something artistic rather than just letting language speak to the soul. There are poets I like from the "days of old," Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, Andrew Marvell, Robert Herrick, Shakespeare (and others), but rarely do I come across a modern poet that makes me take notice. Enter Paul Zarzyski.

His poetry is moving and real and about mud, and gumbo, and comparisons of the rodeo to the slow descent into eternal life. If he has a true "form" it didn't scream at me in his writing. The only thing I heard was the language of words.

Enjoy! (A shout out to Kit Neumann for introducing me to this fantastic poet!)


No comments:

Post a Comment