Friday, December 20, 2013

Today's Little Life Lesson...

I have said nothing about this entire A&E debacle for many reasons:

1) I don't watch the show and I don't care what Phil Robertson thinks about homosexual people nor am I under the misguided notion that anything he says will change the way I feel about homosexual people. I believe that this outburst on both sides of this coin has made him more famous than ever and television executives are laughing at everyone right now - Remember: Miley Cyrus shot to #1 on the charts after her massive media scandal - Wake up America - you're being played.

2) I'm a big girl and no television corporation or group, be it A&E or GLAAD is going to determine my belief system. Nor do I feel I need to "soapbox" every infraction that happens in the media's eye because "When they control the information, they can bend it all they want..."

3) I am actually quite tolerant of people that have a belief system different than mine and as a CHRISTIAN attempt to set a good example of love (unless you're mean and stupid and that's a completely different post).

4) My very dear dear dear friends and family that are homosexual or atheist or any other faction different from the Christian faith KNOW that I love them with all my heart and soul and support them and care about them and open my home to them - but they also know that my belief system does not support their ideals - but I think maybe I'm kind about it, I don't "whoop and holler" about it. They know whole-heartedly where I stand.

Several years ago a young lady sat in my classroom and announced in conversation that she was a lesbian and looked at me asking "Mrs. McGowan, what do you think? Do you think I'm an abomination?" And I was honest. I told her that "the bible says ALL sin is an abomination, to include homosexuality but that I loved her any way and that I hoped she could continue to love and respect me for my very LONG list of sins I've committed in my lifetime." She cried. And said she could. My class fell very silent in this moment and I want to believe it is a learning experience none of them will ever forget.

And that's where I stand. I received several invites one way or the other on this issue and I've declined to participate in any of them because I don't believe social media to be the outlet of changing the world (although I love you for thinking of me). The truth of it is this:

In two weeks the world will be on to some other national debacle and Miley Cyrus and Phil Robertson, and everyone else that has claimed this much media attention will be swept away with the next wave of sensation. All we can do, us peons that don't warrant media coverage, is be kind and loving to the people in our lives and reach out to those we feel are headed for danger. And we must ALL remember Romans 3:23, a verse that brings me comfort in my hour of need: "For ALL have sinned and come short of the Glory of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment