Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Karmic Connection by Libby Mercer

This past December I did a review for Unmasking Maya by Libby Mercer, a fun read about a creative artist that reinvents her life. About a month ago, Libby Mercer contacted me again for another book review and I was happy to oblige.

The cover reveal was posted on March 22, and tonight I'm honored to post the review of the book.  In a word - LOVE!!!!

Lorraine Jameson is the picture of peace, the picture of health, the picture of beauty with long dark hair and eyes that beckon a person's trust; sincere and kind. She is the Yoga instructor at Luna Wellness Center, a place one goes to find peace and harmony, reconnect with their soul. Adam Stowe is her polar opposite - career obsessed, success obsessed, money obsessed, the very definition of a work-a-holic. 

When Adam's boss decides that Adam has put in one too many hours (or hundreds, really) he basically kidnaps Adam and packs him off with a first class ticket to finding inner peace. Adam is livid, he wants nothing more than to break free of this hippie-dippie, yoga lovin', granola eatin', victory garden hell of a jail. But, much to Adam's dismay, he has to play nice or Celeste, the owner of Luna Wellness Center, won't give him a clean bill of health to return to the daily grind. Damnit!

Lucky for Adam, the Universe has other plans. Adam meets Lorraine, and he is captivated by her beauty, her strength, and her damn inner peace that no matter how many deep breaths he takes or yoga poses he tries to do, he simply cannot master the inner calm she seems to have. 

However, Adam will soon learn that inner peace is often found through turmoil and Lorraine isn't exactly as she seems - but then again, are any of us really?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Libby Mercer has such a fantastic light, but thoughtful way of writing. I felt like I was walking through clouds, dancing with daisies, and sipping sunshine as I went through the days expectations of Luna Wellness Center. I'm ready to pack my bags and find one somewhere in TN. (Anyone know where one is?) The character of Lorraine captured me right from the start, and as I learned more about her I could really relate to her life, her battles, and her ability to press forward, to be positive. Adam took a little more time to grow on me, but as the ice melted from him, he found a place in my heart, too.

This novels certainly leans heavily towards the ideas of Gods and plans of the Universe, but I think there is merit in the idea that we can be one with nature and I don't think that renounces my firm belief in the Christian God. I believe they are many facets to the idea of spirituality and the way Mercer embraces them within the context of wellness made me feel at peace myself. I also have the sudden urge to mix lavender and vanilla scents for clarity and relaxation.

I think this is a perfect Spring time read. It lends itself to beginning again, finding a new and better self. And that's often the symbolic nature of Spring - shedding the old so the fresh and tender side of life can emerge after the ice melts and the haze of winter fades. I recommend picking up this book!

This book is available on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Karmic-Connection-ebook/dp/B00CIY1OEW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1366923034&sr=8-4&keywords=the+karmic+connection

 I was provided an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

About Libby Mercer:

Born and raised in the Midwest, Libby Mercer's adventurous spirit kicked in after graduating from high school and she's since lived in Boston, NYC and London. San Francisco is the city that she currently calls home. For several years, Libby worked in fashion -- first as a journalist and then as a shopkeeper, and for a while she dabbled in design. Fashioning a Romance was Libby's first published novel and Unmasking Maya is her second. 
Check out Libby's blog here: http://libby-mercer.blogspot.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment