Sunday, April 21, 2013

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, A Review

I finished this book Tuesday. I've been sitting on this review for five days because I don't know how to write it. Yeah - me...at a loss for words. I assure you, my readers, this is not something that happens often.

I cannot say with enough emphasis that every person I know (or don't) should read this book. I'm even nagging my husband to read it because I MUST discuss this novel with someone - soon!  Why are there no literary reading groups in Clarksville, TN??? (Mom, Dad - are you reading this blog???  READ THIS BOOK - we have to talk about it!!!)  It is, hands down, the BEST book I have read in quite a long time. The writing, the plot, the twisted internal conflict, the lengthy disturbing monologues, the sociopathic diatribe of the characters - all FANTASTIC. Fantastic feels cheap as I write this; words fail me.

I want to harp on the writing here - well written. Just. Well. Written. A colleague and I discussed Friday how neither of us had any use for a book, regardless of plot, if it wasn't well written (I believe he referred to the horrid Fifty Shades of Gray (Hair) as an example of possibly the crappiest piece of shit on the market...but I digress). This book is impeccable. The language, the vocabulary, the sentence structure all in unison for full effect of the plot, which is also, well, fantastic.

Amazing Amy has it all, except a man. She's spent her life being the focus of her parents very lucrative children's book series based on her.  She IS Amazing Amy. And you will love her, and then you will love to hate her, and then you will love her because she's just so damn smart you can't not love her - the tennis match is endless, or maybe racquet ball, far more intense than tennis. Yes, racquet ball - angry, sweaty, slamming the ball off the wall to the glass and then BAM! hit your partner in the back of the head angry racquet ball.

And as Amy lives her sad little "poor me" life, Nick Dunne enters. "Just one olive" Nick Dunne. Dashing, perfect, smiling, Mama's boy (his mother still peels his oranges and cuts the crusts off his bread even though he's well into his thirties) Nick Dunne. Nick loves Amy. Amy loves Nick. Life is grand.

Wait, no one wants to read that book, because frankly, life isn't grand. It is blessed, it is doting, it is caring, it is cruel, but it is not always grand. Enter destruction - Mama's dying. With this life changing event looming in the air, prodigal son (sort of) Nick must return from New York to Missouri (a risk made much easier by the fact that the online industry has killed off the magazine writer and both he and Amy are currently unemployed- side note...super glad I received this book in hardback rather than on my Kindle or I would have felt like a hypocrite reading it). Mama's dies  - you saw it coming. No one uproots their lives for an ailing parent that's going to make it. But, Nick wants to remain in small town USA, slipping back into his old life, his old self, and most notably upsetting his new wife.

Make no mistake about it folks, Amy is pissed.

Read. This. Book.  


From the book cover:

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made with Nick Dunne's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick Dunne isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams and the slope and shape of his wife's head, but hearing Amy through flashbacks in her diary reveal the perky perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media - as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents - the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter - but is her really a killer? As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister Margo at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was left in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

For more about Gillian Flynn, visit her website at http://gillian-flynn.com

I will certainly read both her other novels, Sharp Objects and Dark Places soon. In true book format, of course.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cresta,

    I'm going through a long list of blogs in my Google Reader list and saw yours. I love ALL Flynn's books. You may have read the other two as well. If you haven't, run to the bookstore or download. They are as good as Gone Girl. :)

    ReplyDelete