Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Oracle of Philadelphia by Elizabeth Corrigan

Paranormal or fantasy is not usually a genre I read. While I enjoy a world outside of reality, my thought process is often too literal to digest the concept of the supernatural. I believe in ghosts and witches and vampires and werewolves and the like, but for some reason I have a hard time reading about them.

Enter The Oracle of Philadelphia, Book One: Earthbound Angels by Elizabeth Corrigan.  Because it'd been so long since thumbing the pages (I appreciate that I can still use this cliche even when reading on my Kindle) of a fantasy based novel, I was eager to give this a read. 

Excerpt from Red Adept publishing:

Carrie works at a diner in South Philadelphia, dispensing advice to humans and angels wise enough to seek her counsel. But there are some problems that even the best advice can’t solve.

Her latest supplicant, Sebastian, is unique among those who have sought her aid. He sold his soul to a demon in exchange for his sister’s life, but his heart remains pure.

Carrie has lived for millennia with the knowledge that her immortality is due to the suffering of others, and she cannot bear to see another good man damned when it is within her power to prevent it.

In order to renegotiate his contract, Carrie must travel into the depths of hell and parley with the demons that control its pathways. As the cost of her journey rises, Carrie must determine how much she is willing to sacrifice to save one good soul.

The Review:
As much as it pains me to say this because I believe ALL WRITERS are people of depth, character, and talent; I did not love this book. It is my hope that when the author reads my review it will not be read as scurrilous, but as simply an difference of opinion with regards to fantasy reading.

First and foremost - I want to start with the positives. Carrie, the protagonist of the novel, is very well drawn. Corrigan creates in her a character with which you sympathize with and the desire for her to win the battles of the underworld in order to save Sebastian's soul are true.  Sebastian is also an excellent player in the book and his plot is reminisncent of Washington Irving's The Devil and Tom Walker or for the very well read,  Faust.  His selflessness and goodness radiate throughout his persona and gives a reader hope for the true idea of goodness. Corrigan's writing style is comfortable enough for a reader at any level, but most likely suited for the young adult. The plot traveled at a moderate pace and gave the reader enough incentive to keep turning the pages.

However, the depiction of the Angels and demons, for me, was slightly contrived and far to "conversational." Using various Biblical names such as Gabriel and Lucifer frustrated me during the reading. Maybe this stems from my Christian background and deep reverence for these influential beings within the realm of faith; the sacrilege of the names stifled the creative element of the novel. I constantly went back to my teachings making comparisons in the character motives, actions, and depth. I am not suggesting that Biblical material isn't suitable for modern adaptation, Sam Torode's The Dirty Parts of the Bible is a shining of example of modernizing religious literature, but the difference being he completely changed the names of the characters so that imagination of the reader was able to flow rather than cement into information already known.

I think for a paranormal piece there was too much reality interspersed so I never really transitioned fully into the world where Carrie fought to save Sebastian's soul.

But, hey - that's just my take on it and I could be 100% wrong.  I want to again say that I believe Corrigan is an excellent author, this book just didn't connect with me; it might be just right for you.

If you'd like to purchase this novel it is available from the following vendors:


There is also a book trailer with this novel (a feature I think is pretty cool!):





About the Author:
Elizabeth Corrigan has degrees in English and psychology and has spent several years working as a data analyst in various branches of the healthcare industry.

When she’s not hard at work on her next novel, Elizabeth enjoys singing, reading teen vampire novels, and making Sims of her characters. She drinks more Diet Coke than is probably optimal for the human body and is pathologically afraid of bees. She lives in Maryland with two cats and a purple Smart Car.

Visit her at:  www.ElizabethRCorrigan.com


There's More:

With this book tour, Red Adept Publishing is hosting a giveaway. Use the Rafflecopter below for your chance to win!
a Rafflecopter giveaway




Another great moment of publication from:





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting my tour! If your readers want to know more, they can visit me online at www.ElizabethRCorrigan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent - I'm going to go back and add your website into the blog.

    ReplyDelete