Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Saturday Morning Summary...

I wanted to post more regularly on my blog. During the school year, my reading time diminishes SO MUCH due to pure exhaustion from my day job I can't post as often as I'd like, but I still wanted readers to know I was actively pursuing and planning blogs and reviews for your perusing pleasure :-) Nothing excites me more than new hits on my blog, or when someone asks me, "What do you think I should read next?"

I'm hoping to be able to keep up The Saturday Morning Summary each week with what I'm reading and what's on "the shelf" to read next. And maybe a quip or two about the week in review.

What I'm Reading:  
This week brings you into the world of a witch through The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston. This novel was on The New York Times Bestseller list. It chronicles the life of modern day witch Bess Hawksmith and her journey to overcome the fierce witch trials of the 1600's - think The Crucible meets The Salem Witch Trails meets The 21st Century. It's interesting, but I admit, slow going and bit predictable. However, not so much that I want to put it down (a right I've given myself the more I read - to put the book down if I don't like it).





On the Shelf:
I have a review ready to post for a thriller called Hope for the Wicked by Edward Lorn. It is INTENSE! This post will hit the blog on Feb. 8, 2013. Following this is a book I won from ChickLitCentral.com called Strawberry Wine by Lee Adams. It looks like a good, light read, which I'm completely in the mood for right now. After that, Red Adept Publishing is keeping me busy with an article post on Geocaching from Morgan C. Talbot, author of the First to Find series, and Oracle of Philadelphia by Elizabeth Corrigan. Also coming in March, a new book by Lauren Clark, author of Dancing Naked in Dixie, titled Stardust Summer. You might remember her name from a review and book giveaway contest I did a few months back. I also want to squeeze in a book called The Salt God's Daughter along the way - it's been sitting on my "to read" shelf for far too long.

Whew! That seems like a lot. Good thing reading is such a passion :-)

As for me:
Now that my computer is recovered (yes, big incident there that I do not with to share!) I'm hoping to put a few words on the page in my novel. Yes, I'm trying. Four chapters in, I can say it is the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. Making the connections throughout the chapters is so challenging, and creating a story and characters people will want to read feels like an impossible task. But, I trudge on with the hopes of finishing it one day - even if it is never published, it was written.

A Week in Review:
I won't lie folks, it was a tough week. You know those weeks where it's just one thing after another with no end in sight? That was this week for me. School was tough, home was tough, technology tried to kill me. I think I hurled more anger at inanimate objects this week than I have in a very long time. So, I'm hoping for a better week, better month even, with February.

I leave you with this funny little cartoon about reading, because this is my greatest challenge at school with about 80% of my students currently failing my class for one reason only - they refuse to READ!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment