Friday, February 8, 2013

Review: Hope for the Wicked, A Larry Laughlin Novella

This is a novella worth reading. Intense. Suspense. Sitting bolt upright in bed while reading because a relaxed state was just not possible during this daring and gut-wrenching novella. Hope for the Wicked by Edward Lorn has painted a world I hope to never join (well, almost...I wouldn't mind ridding the world of a few bad people). This gripping and harrowing account of a married couple's trip to Mexico will leave the reader's mind reeling for days, and begging for more work by this talented author.

Larry and Mo (Maureen) are "hitmen" turned investigators. They are doing their best to stay on the "up and up" with a legitimate business, but times are tough and the business is barely getting by. However, it's legit and Larry enjoys this. He's done with the "thrill of the kill," now comfortable with the concept of ridding the world of the wicked legally; much less stress. However, their handler Tommy reappears in their life, and it seems fate has other plans. One last job down in Mexico pulls them back into a world they'd left behind for good. Between the car and the guns and the vet turned doc and the pimp and "The Show," Larry and Mo are in for the ride of their lives.

I could NOT put this book down. And it has stayed with me so much that I'm having trouble really getting into the next book I'm reading because I keep thinking about what happened in Hope for the Wicked. Lorn paints such a vivid picture with realistic characters. I liked both Larry and Mo. I liked Tommy, their handler, in a weird way. Every person is realistic and authentic, fulfilling their identities with an appeal I've not felt towards characters in awhile. I usually like one or two characters, mostly the protagonist, but this book - I liked them all.  Even the bad guys.

This is certainly an "adult" book. Absolutely not suitable for children, or even teens. I caution those with a faint heart to read at your own risk. Lorn explains, in graphic details, some very disturbing and difficult scenes. I, myself, have trouble with some of the material, but the plot is so good you push through. Not since The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo have I read a book that made me physically tense up like Hope for the Wicked. If you enjoyed reading that series, this book is for you.

Overall - a 5 out 5 stars on this. There isn't a single thing I would change. Even the parts that broke my heart.

Hope for the Wicked is far from Lorn's first piece of work. He has published several other books. If you'd like to read more about him, you can check out his blog here:  http://edwardlorn.wordpress.com/

From Amazon's author page:

Edward Lorn is an American horror author presently residing in the southeast United States. He enjoys storytelling, reading, and writing biographies in the third person.

Once upon a time, during a session of show and tell, a seven-year-old Edward Lorn shared with his class that his baby brother had died over the weekend. His classmates, the teacher included, wept while he recanted the painful tragedy of having lost a sibling. Edward went home that day and found an irate mother waiting for him. Edward's teacher had called to express her condolences. This was unfortunate, as Edward had never had a baby brother.

With advice given to her by a frustrated teacher, Edward's mother made him start writing all of his lies down. The rest, as they say, is history.

Edward Lorn and his wife are raising two children, along with a handful of outside cats and a beagle named Dot. He remains a liar to this day. The only difference is, now he's a useful one.



Along with this book, there is a giveaway! It doesn't begin until February 11, so be sure to check back for your change to win!



a Rafflecopter giveaway

4 comments:

  1. I'll be honest, Cresta, I'm speechless. Thank you for the stunning review. I'm thrilled you enjoyed the book. Larry's story will be continuing, I can assure you of that.

    Edward Lorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it. This book was truly gripping! I look forward to more of your work.

      Delete
  2. This review has me intrigued. I know what I'm reading next!!

    ReplyDelete