Sunday, June 3, 2012

June Photo-a-day Challenge

So, it's June 3rd and I'm three days behind. But, I just read about this challenge this morning. I mentioned the essay-a-day challenge before, but I hesitated in participating in that one because, well, an essay a day is hard to write. But, I've done photo-a-day before and I thought I'd like to do it again. I'll have to play catch up for the first two days, so forgive me if photos are dated. Topics for this year:




So - here we go.


Day 1 - Morning:


This is a great picture of my son making me breakfast on Mother's Day. His help in the kitchen is a fairly regular occurrence, especially with breakfast so it's a great "morning" photo. He loves to crack the eggs, scramble the eggs, flip the pancakes, make toast, and pour his own chocolate milk. I maintain that one day the boy will know his way around a kitchen, a skill that will serve him later in life. 


I am not a morning person, and neither is he. We both wake slowly and are groggy until the morning milk and coffee has been had. 


Mornings around here, on the weekends in particular, are a slow graceful entrance to the day. 








Day 2 - Empty

Hmmmm - empty. This is hard for me to write about. I'm not sure exactly what to say about  empty. I could comment on the gas tank, because when it's empty, so is my wallet. But, I think I'll go a little more heartfelt for this photo. This is a picture of Jerry's last deployment to Iraq. When he is gone, my house feels empty. CJ and I do our very best to fill the void, but there are just times when we need Daddy to be home. I know.








Day 3 - On your plate (I'm taking this literal rather than figurative)

I should have taken a photo of breakfast this morning. I recently blogged about eating better and we took that step today. But, instead I'll have to rely on the internet for a good picture of what I prefer to see on my plate because shockingly I don't have a single photo of food anywhere in my possession. You'd think I would. I know I took a picture of my absolute favorite salad awhile back, but I can't seem to locate it today. 

This is Roquefort Pear Salad ala Cresta (I changed a few ingredients).

Ingredients

  • 1 head leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
  • 3 pears - peeled, cored and chopped
  • 5 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
  • 1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
  • 1/4 cup all natural brown sugar 
  • 1/2 cup pecans
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • fresh ground pepper to taste

Directions

  1. In a skillet over medium heat, stir 1/4 cup of sugar together with the pecans. Continue stirring gently until sugar has melted and caramelized the pecans. Carefully transfer nuts onto waxed paper. Allow to cool, and break into pieces.
  2. For the dressing, blend oil, vinegar, mustard, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper.
  3. In a large serving bowl, layer lettuce, pears, blue cheese, avocado, and green onions. Pour dressing over salad, sprinkle with pecans, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment