Thursday, February 2, 2012

"Does not count his joys..."


As promised, blog titles will come from literature.  Today's is an excerpt from Dostoyevsky.  Full quote:  "Man is fond of counting his troubles but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it." - Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky




This video is all about the science of being happy.  It focuses on how we view the world and it changes our perception of happiness.  The biggest moment he speaks of for me is about goals.  How when we set a goal, say "get a job" and then we reach it, society says that isn't enough - now you have to "get a better job" and we never allow our brains to process any momment of happiness - ever.  I think this pressure is what keeps me a one child family.  The minute CJ was born, people were asking when we would have another baby and to them I say, "Let me be happy."

Overall, I agree with what this man has to say.  We shove happiness to the bottom of some unreachable well, never sure of when it will be ours.  Why do we do this?

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment