Monday, October 3, 2011

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

Well - I've turned my blog the best shade of pink I could find in honor of October being National Breast Cancer Awareness month.  Jerry and I have registered to run the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on October 29, 2011 in Brentwood, TN.  We would GREATLY appreciate any and all donations to our team (OR JOIN OUR TEAM!!)

Click me!

This race is near and dear to my heart as many of you know about my very dear friend Kellie Raymond who battling cancer at this time.  In the spring of 2011, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a double mastectomy.  She has completed chemotherapy, to include losing all of her beautiful, long blonde hair, and is now undergoing 33 radiation treatments.  She has handled ALL of this with more grace and poise than I feel I ever could and it has inspired me to no end.

I was shocked when someone my age was diagnosed with cancer.  I think we believe it's an old-person's disease even though in the back of our minds we know places like St. Jude exist.  But she is a woman in her prime and marathon runner, too!  How could someone so healthy battle something so devastating?  We don't know.  God works in mysterious ways and we have to believe in his plan.  Her faith has been the biggest driving force of her recovery and daily renews my own faith.

Kellie and I have shared many moments in life together.  We stood up for each other in high school, and then literally stood up for each other in our weddings which are a mere two-weeks apart.  This past summer we both celebrated 11 years of marriage!  I was there for the birth of two of her children, and she was there for me during my husband's first deployment to Iraq - threw me a beautiful baby shower that I will never forget.  She is not just my friend, she is my sister and the miles between us separate us very little, if at all.  Time apart only strengthens the next conversation we will have - it's as if we never stopped talking at all.

If you have time to help us be a part of the fight on Breast Cancer, we would greatly appreciate your donations.

This is a picture of us during one of her chemotherapy sessions - that is a wig, can you believe it?!?!  

No comments:

Post a Comment