Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Case of the Mean Reds...



I just saw Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time in my life!  I know - shame on me.  I never really watch "old" movies (and I say that carefully), but I've decided maybe I should.  I really enjoyed the film.  It was simple and I appreciate the idea of having a place you go when nothing seems to be going right.  Holly Golightly went to Tiffany's and stared at the beautiful jewelry through the windows.  It was her happy place - we all need a happy place.  "What I've found does the most good is just to get into a taxi and go to Tiffany's.  It calms me down right away, the quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there, not with those kind men in their nice suits..." 








The line that caught my eye the most in the entire film was about "the mean reds..."

"You know those days when you've got the mean reds.... the blues are because you're getting fat or maybe it's been raining too long.  You're sad, that's all.  But the mean reds are horrible.  You're afraid and you sweat like hell, but you don't know what you're afraid of.  Except something bad is going to happen, only you don't know what it is."

I think this is true, or at least it is for me.  I find myself, even as an adult, being afraid of what's going to happen.  Oh, I know I shouldn't.  God is my protector and my faith is strong.  But, I am also human.  And sometimes, bad stuff happens even when you least expect it.  I don't think it always has to be utter turmoil, but it's out there lurking in the dark shadows of the world, sometimes in our own minds.


Wouldn't it be great if the little blue box perked us all right up?  A place where just  a few moments of happy brought on a cure for a case of the "mean reds".  

A girl can dream...



2 comments:

  1. Always a pleasure reading your blog posts. And I wish for you many small, blue boxes to cheer you up as needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been writing a lot this week - I hope I don't lose my mojo when I get back to school Monday!

    ReplyDelete