Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Poetic Asides with Robert Lee Brewer - PoetryChallenge2011

Poetic Asides with Robert Lee Brewer - PoetryChallenge2011

Write in poetic form - today I shall attempt the Shakespearean Sonnet. This poem is 3 quatrains (3 sets of four lines) with the rhyme scheme abab, cdcd, efef and a couplet at the end (2 lines) - all in Iambic Pentameter. 10 syllables per line, 5 stressed, 5 unstressed.

The Writer

The writer knows which way we must not fall
Because a fall could end a story line
The truth of writing written on the wall
Must make its way in life also in time.

The words that stare into me from the page
Create in me a story that's divine
In love or hurt or peace or matchless rage
True writing woes the soul, and yes, the mind.

I sit to seek the beauty of the words
That fill my heart with thoughts that I must say
And while the passion stems like wings of birds
The struggle to produce grows more each day.

Why oh why do I try to write again?
It kills my heart and soul each day, and then...

No comments:

Post a Comment