Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day Three, Poetic Asides with Robert Lee Brewer - PoetryChallenge2011

Poetic Asides with Robert Lee Brewer - PoetryChallenge2011

I am not a poet, but I try my hand at the Poetic Asides every April. I missed last year, but I am going to give it a shot this year. I know well enough that I have no shot at winning something like this (a writer must know what their strengths and weaknesses are), but I enjoy the creative process of it and it helps me think of other things to write about, forces me to put the words down on the paper (or the screen - whatever the preference).

I am going to attempt to to do each day, but I know sometimes I will miss because life is just busy this month. It's the 4th 9-weeks, students and teachers alike are tired, and unlike the photo challenge, I can't work ahead (yes, I know this shocks you, but photos and blogs were written weeks in advance!). I have to wait for each day's prompt meaning I won't post my poetry dribble until the evening.

Feel free to comment, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and check out the link for each day to read some really great work by the real poets out there.

Today's prompt: Write a poem in which you imagine the world without you. Since my favorite movie (It's a Wonderful Life) plays with this idea, I'm surprised I've never used this prompt before. The world could be a much worse place without you, could be pretty much the same, or I guess, it could even be better. Anyway, it's interesting to contemplate our individual contributions to this planet in ways small and large.

This prompt is hard. We sometimes imagine how things would be without us, and it's very easy to go to a dark place here, and I feel myself being pulled to that side because lately I've been just "down in the dumps." But, I'm going to give it a shot assuming that somehow, someway I brighten the lives of those I touch and will write to a happy place.

Without Me, It Wouldn't be You

Standing, a boy, not yet a man
Olive drab dripping from his arms
in the rain, in the forest
in the cold.

What was that noise?
Brush bustling, breaking
slipping down the side of the ravine
knowing, but not knowing
where the bottom lies.

Stopped. Hard. Crack.
An ankle, snapped in the dark...
They will come for him,
pull him out of the test
to be all that he can be.

Surrender him to the wagon
pulled from the trenches of silence
so loud it's deafening
all for an enlisted enlistments.

No stripes of gold,
no air pushing him up, down
around the side of a greater goal
reaching only for what he needs
not what he wants.

Single, solitary, safe.
If not in body, but in mind and heart
knowing his life is what he owns
obligations to no one else,
sounds so sweet in the night.

Until the loneliness engulfs him,
pulling him under the emptiness
that does not hold her face, see her smile
hear the laugh of their child.

No comments:

Post a Comment