Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day One and Two - Poetic Asides...

I went back and did the first two days,
In a bit of hurry, I must say.
They sure aren't my best,
but I'm now up to speed.
So take a few moments,
And give them a read.  :-)

Day one:
For today's prompt, write a "what got you here" poem. For instance, write a poem about a mode of transportation like your car, bike, horse, etc. Or write a poem about what "got you here" as a human being or writer (like what got you started writing, perhaps). Or write a poem about what brought you to this blog. Or whatever other interpretation you might have.

DWM's - Dead White Men

They read the story,
noting only the glory
of the DWM's - the dead white men
they read every year.

Where, in the tears
of their boredom galore
was a story of something
post 1924?

And I thought
as I listened
to them drone on and on
that maybe something was missing
from their selection of song.

That classics are classics
powerful, strong
but the weight of the world
doesn't carry them long.

Their generation is different
even though I disagree,
they have no connection
to The Old Man and the Sea.

And they don't want to see
no matter how hard I push
They just aren't ready,
for that kind of book.

Something must matter
more than what's in their text
so why not try more,
give the white men a rest.

And I sat at my Mac,
thinking that night,
when my first story hit me...
Maybe I'll write.

Day Two:
For today's prompt, write a postcard poem. Make it brief and communicate what it is like where you are. Also, make it personal. 

Tornado Terrors

The night will bring them
to a tiny tip in Tennessee
Thunderous tornadoes
that tear, trip, total
the town and tourists
of the tended temperate temperature
until the talisman totes
a totally terrific thunder-free day.

No comments:

Post a Comment