Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 30, The 30-Day Photo Challenge


Day thirty:  A picture of someone you miss...

I don't know if some"one" really gets it.  Who can say there is one person in their life they miss the most when one has lost many worth mentioning?  I cannot.  I do not miss some"one".  I miss some"ones".  Plural (not a word, but nonetheless).

These are my paternal grandparents, a.k.a. Grandma and Grandpa.  They lived in Creedmoor, TX which was the country to me.  I remember going out to their home when I was child and listening to my Grandpa tell stories or "working" in the post office with my Grandma.  They both smoked, a lot, and while I don't prefer smoke, the drift of a lit cigarette can transport me back in time to my childhood playing in a junk pile out behind their house with my cousin Heath.  They were not rich, in fact, by most standards they would be considered poor.  Mismatched commercial tile in the small kitchen, no padding under the carpet, and a two bedroom home of which three boys shared when my dad was a child while my Aunt Becky slept on the couch, but they were happy.  They had enough and that was that.  Their house was fun, always fun.  I miss them both.  I wish my husband could have known them, they died when I was young.  I wish my son could know them.  One day, I will see them again in Heaven, this I know.


This is my maternal Grandmother, a.k.a. Granny.  I miss her, too.  We were very close.  She did not die until I was married and gone, and it was especially hard for me to tell her good-bye.  Granny saw me through many difficult times in my life and during my tumultuous teen years, was one of the few souls I would speak to without venom in my voice.   She (and my Papa who is still living) helped me with cars, college, and bills.  She was always so proud of me, so unbelievably proud of me.  As I attempt to pursue my Ed.S. and hopefully, Ed.D. I know my Granny is smiling down on me from Heaven, she always wanted more for me, always more.  She was not just my Granny, she was my friend and I don't know a lot of people that can say that about their grandmothers.  She was a big part of my life and I still miss her.  I gave the eulogy at her funeral and I thought I was not going to get through it, but Granny always said I had public speaking presence, so when I stepped up to the pulpit that day, I knew it would go well and it did.  I still desire to make her proud, to know she looks down on me with approval, not because I have to, but because I want to.



I am truly blessed to have known all four of my grandparents in such a way that I treasure every moment with them.  CJ, my son, I hope will grow up with the same fond memories and love of his grandparents that I have of mine (I assure you - he's off to a good start spoiled rotten by BOTH sides!).

So you see, it is not someone I miss, but some"ones".  There is no way I could choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment