Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 25, The 30-Day Photo Challenge

Day twenty-five:  A picture of your day...

Welcome to Northwest High School (I couldn't find a picture of the front of the building - bummer).  This is where I spend my days from August to May every year (with a few dates over the summer, too).


My day starts at 5:00a at home of course - but this is because my work days begins at 7:00a.  Students arrive in 1st period by 7:30a and the day is off and running.  Luckily I have an aide 1st period that helps me out, because without him, the day wouldn't hit the ground so smoothly - I'm NOT a morning gal!  1st period is reading - RICA to be exact (Reading in the Content Area) and I really enjoy this class.  The kids are great and the curriculum is fun to teach.

2nd and 3rd period are English II and these are 10th grade classes.  4th and 5th are also English II, but they are Honors, and also 10th grade classes.  During 4th period I get my very coveted thirty-minute duty free lunch.  God protect the child that enters the teacher's lounge during this time.  After five classes in a row, I finally have my planning 6th period.  It makes for a long day without a break, but it's nice to decompress at the end of the day.

Of course, after school there is usually tutoring or meetings or events to attend.  My day usually doesn't end at school until well after 4:00p.  I work an average of 60 to 80 hours a week if you include the grading and planning that goes on after school hours are long over.  But, I like my job and I sign on for another year, every year.  I must be a glutton for teenage punishment!

No comments:

Post a Comment