Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 7, The 30-Day Photo Challenge

Day Seven: A picture of your most treasured item

My most treasured item is my wedding ring.  Some may think it should a picture of my family or my son, but they are not items, they are people.  An item is a tangible something you can hold, something you can separate into categories such as "items" on a list.  Of the items I own, my wedding ring reigns supreme.

My ring is not something I wear because it's flashy, although I think it is.  I had to be talked into the ring I have now because it is not what I started out with.  When my husband and I married, we were not rich and he did not have the means to buy a giant diamond ring - and that was fine.  I told him I'd marry him without the ring, but being the traditional man he is (he called my dad and asked for my hand, too) he insisted I have a ring.  I still have my original ring because the sentimentality of it is special to me.

The ring I have now my husband bought me after our son was born.  He wanted to do something special for me, something that showed me and the world how strong our bond was.  Because we could afford it, he wanted to get me a fancier ring.  I always thought I wasn't a girl that loved diamonds, but after some heavy persuasion from Jerry and my mother, turns out, I do.  I liked this ring because it has an antique feel to it and it is still simple in design.

I don't wear it to prove my love to my husband or to anyone else that I am "taken".  I wear it because it symbolizes the bond of marriage between myself and one man.  I wear it because it was a gift from my husband to me as a token of his affection and everlasting love.   My wedding ring is not just a diamond, it truly is a treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment