Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 13, The 30-Day Photo Challenge

Day Thirteen: A picture of your favorite band.

This is hard for me. I love music in multiple genres. So, instead of picking a single band, I would like to talk about a few favorites from different aspects of my life.  My parents are both musicians.  My father plays the guitar and my mother plays the piano and sings.  They were both in the band in high school, and after high school my dad played in several bands and my mother was a music major in college.  I come from a musical family and from the time I was little, I loved music.  In my baby book it says, "Cresta likes to sing and dance to the radio."  My brother sings and raps, I sing, and I married a musician - Jerry plays the drums (set and marching).  Music is and has always been a huge part of my life.

We'll begin with my childhood:  The Beatles



The first song I remember learning the words to was Get Back by The Beatles. My dad would play it on the guitar and I would sing and dance.  I didn't realize until I was older that this was a Beatles song, I just knew it was a song I learned to sing and dance when I was a little girl.  Nothing like a toddler screeching "Get back - get back.  Get back to where you once belonged!"

When I was an older child, I found a love for country music.  I adored Reba McEntire.  Not the current Reba, the big-haired, sparkly dresses, pull your chin back while you sing, loud fireworks concerts, every word has at least twelve syllables, Reba.  Favorite Reba songs:  I Know How he Feels, Rumor has It, When Whoever's in New England, Sunday Kind of Love, The Night the Lights Went out in Georgia, If I Had Only Known, and Fancy. I'm sure there are others I enjoy, but these top the list.



In the late 80's/early 90's I discovered pop rock and hair bands at about the same time.

Favorite 80's song:  OMD, If You Leave (made super famous by the movie Pretty in Pink - I'm an 80's movie junkie, but not one day asks for my favorite films, or books for that matter)




80's Pop/Hair Band:  Journey (they had a little of both)

Favorite Hair Band:  Guns N' Roses - as if there were others I'd consider!



And can't leave out the awesome 80's chicks:  Madonna and Cyndi Lauper


College life brought on new genres of music, like alternative or punk.  Jerry is a fan of both of these styles, so with his influence, I started listening to a little broader spectrum of music.  I don't like all of it, but I do own NIN "The Downward Spiral" and I love the Smashing Pumpkins and Crash Test Dummies.



Other musical talents I enjoy:  Eminem.  Yep - he makes a reprise from Day #1




Now, this list is far from conclusive, but each of these artists I own CD's for, listen to pretty regularly still, and I can say that my disc changer in my car at least two of them at any given time.

The only kind of music I don't like is R&B.  There are few songs I can tolerate, but in general, I can't stand R&B.

The amount of CD's + iTunes files Jerry and I own is almost embarrassing.  Our combined collection is astounding and the choices, we'll just say if you want to hear it, we probably already have and can play it with the click of a button.

Happy Trails (Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, just in case you didn't know...old country music - another genre I love!)

3 comments:

  1. Always love the music that makes you wanna play more if you play an instrument, or makes you wanna sing, or makes you wanna dance. It does the soul so much good..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about "our" Reba duet - "Does He Love You?" We sang that multiple times when driving to Overton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like that song, but the older I get the more it becomes about a woman messing with another woman's husband...bugs me - but the singing is still awesome!

    ReplyDelete